Thursday, August 14, 2008

A-kayaking we did go


I've been wanting to get into longer kayaking trips for a while. I think sea kayaking gets kind of a bad rap, but like most things, you can do it easy, or you can do it intensely. A couple years ago, I went to Belize for about 5 days kayaking island-to-island off the coast. While fun, I realized I was definitely ready for a bigger challenge.

I found it in Greece. Nine days of 4-6 hours of intense kayaking a day through ridiculously beautiful scenery. Amazing.

I lucked out in a kayak partner as well. One of the guys from work is also very into kayaking and came along for the ride. I found a company that rented us all the equipment we needed so all we had to bring was a sleeping bag. They also gave us printed maps to work with, and we were off.

To be honest, I've always prided myself on my athletic ability - particularly when it comes to water sports. However, this trip definitely taught me some humility. While I've sea kayaked with guys before, they were never as good as me technically and usually not in as good of shape. Søren was the first time I'd sea kayaked with someone who was as good technically (if not better) and better than me athletically.

As we were on our own, we had the freedom to set our own pace. For us, this meant all out. We beat the estimated times by about 2 hours a day, and he was barely breaking a sweat. To some people, this would probably be a total nightmare. For me, it was heaven. We got to visit almost every island in the Greek isles, saw a lot of things most people don't get to see and actually ended up in better shape after our vacation than we were when starting it.

If you're me, it doesn't get any better than that.

2 comments:

PH said...

Hey Cori, this is Phil Hickes. Hope you're well. Gorgeous photos. But I have to say, I'm into my fitness and all that too, but it sounds like damn hard work for a holiday! Speak soon - cheers.

Cori said...

Hey Phil,

Actually, I kind of lamed out on this entry. Hadn't posted in a while and sort of forced myself to get this one done.

Need to rewrite it and include the photos of my wounds. By the time we were done, I had these nasty infected massive friction burns, and I had some kind of lung infection thing. I was a bit of a mess, but it was a blast. I'd do it again in a second.